PrincessPonyPartyAmazing

Ellis & Barnes: Serious Mothers!

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Burlap Pillows

So occasionally, PPAers, I yearn to do real crafty projects.

Stefan had a 1950's backyard BBQ themed party for his birthday. Of course this meant potato sack races. Of course we didn't do that. We sat around and ate and drank beer and played bocci. So we suddenly had 3 dirty but very cool potato sacks.

What to do?

So I cruised Pintrest, which I think was created to help answer questions like "what to do with potato sacks" or "what are 50 activities I can do with my toddler that will take effort on my part and my toddler won't give two shits about?"

Clearly, I am going to turn these stinky bags into pillows.

Now...first, unstink the pillows. About all you can do, as far as I know, and I know very little about this, is to hang them out in the sun for a few days and beat the daylights out of them. The sun will help bleach out the stains and the stink.


I kept mine out for a week but they could have gone a month. I just have no patience for my crafts.

Essentially I cut the sacks a little bigger than the pillow size. Put them together right side to right side, sewed 3 sides, turned inside out and then stuffed with a pillow.

I then took binder clips and folded in the open side and clipped so I could hand stitch it shut with yarn. 


The first pillow I used really thin yarn but with the second I used the thick, crafty looking yarn, like you use for sock puppet hair.  It worked great and I think looks cooler.


These are burlap sacks people. No sun can make these the type of pillows you want indoors unless you get brand new burlap sacks. So taaaa daaaaa....porch pillow dinosaur party!


xoxo,
Biz

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger DG said...

Very cool.

DG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home