PrincessPonyPartyAmazing

Ellis & Barnes: Serious Mothers!

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Chalk Placemats, The No Fail Craft

Unless you can't cut a straight line, then, like me, you are doomed to "folksy" results.

I am the queen of getting ideas for projects, running out and buying what I need, then waiting 4 months to make whatever it is I think I can't live without and then another 2 months to tell anyone about it. I think that last part is completely unnecessary but that is not what the internet tells me.

So here is what I did.

I bought some of the super cool chalkboard fabric and I had some oilcloth fabric left over.

Step one, cut out the chalkboard fabric in the shape of a placemat...aka rectangle. Then cut the oil cloth into a rectangle, but bigger so that it can fold over the edge of the chalkboard fabric twice to make a boarder. 

The key is having all the tools to make your cuts even and still winding up with lopsided rectangles. If you don't master this at first, have a glass of wine, it will help.

Ok, lay the chalkboard fabric on top of the oilcloth, backside to backside, and fold over your edges twice then pin it.


Then swear A LOT because this material is too thick to pin. Make sure you poke yourself till you bleed. You are doing great!

Take your bloody placemat to your sewing machine. Make sure you have a strong needle, like one for leather....or don't and just act surprised when your regular needle breaks. You aren't selling these for pete's sake.

Sew along the edge of the folded over oilcloth....


...and ta daaaaa...a placemat! You then have to rub chalk all over it and wipe it down before you actually use it. I have no idea why but I do as I am told in all things chalk.


Now go get some bandaids for your fingers because you gotta make the second one. This is a great time to have some sort of genius idea and instead of the !#@^$* pins, grab some binder clips to hold down the folded over oil cloth. It is so much nicer.


Now go do all the sewing stuff! Presto! Placemats!


XOXO,
Biz

1 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger miss.marni said...

I LOVE THIS IDEA! you are a crafty genius.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home