PrincessPonyPartyAmazing

Ellis & Barnes: Serious Mothers!

Friday, January 19, 2007

Looks Like We Made It















Oh yes indeed...Barry was incredible!

Sure, I am a little biased...I mean I can't imagine Barry doing any wrong...unless I found out he believed in hitting women like Sean Connery (dick).

The seats were great. We were on the main floor, center, and one section back....the front of our section. No matter where I looked i got an eye full of Barry. He sang all of his old songs and threw in some of the songs he sings on the 50's and 60's album. These were of course charming and wonderful. He made lots of adorable jokes about being really old and I swear he changed blazers like 8 times. I wasn't sure if there was much of a difference between the blazers except for color, but who cares...that man can wear a blazer!

I stood up and "rocked" for most of his songs. That sounds weird, but there are all these awesome Barry Manilow crescendos and you know all the words and you have probably sung them at home in your darkest hour and they have helped you through and all of a sudden you are at the concert and he is singing "Mandy" and suddenly there is a key change AND a crescendo and you can't help but pump your fist in the air and lose control.

I cried when he sang Weekend In New England. This is also the phone ring I have for when my parents call. My Mama went with me to a Barry Manilow concert in Birmingham at the outdoor ampitheatre...and we sat on a blanket and when that song came on both got teary and it was just a sweet Mama moment.

What I like about Barry Manilow concerts is that I am always surprised by the fans. Of course there are a lot of women and a lot of sweaters with prints, and a majority of the fan base is getting on up there in years (though are still die hard and would cut your throat if it was between you and them and Barry.) But there are always the young fans...like myself and the straight men. I had a friend back in college number 2 who was a Barry Fan. He was a good ol' southern, fraternity brother, who hunted and drank too much beer and yet LOVED Barry. I ran into him at the concert I was at with my Mom. He knew every song.

We were surrounded by a fairly good group. The woman next to me got a little upset when not everyone was standing for every song. She said to me, "What is everyone's problem? We are on the floor, this is like the mosh pit for Barry Manilow!" Adorable.

There was an intermission...which means Barry might be getting a bit too old to go out on the road...though I did not mind as it allowed me to go to the bathroom and not miss any of the concert. During the intermission, glow sticks were passed out. Everyone in the Garden had one. Now, I have been to Phish Shows. I know glow sticks and great concert lighting. This was no Phish show...but it was close my friend. Very close. I mean people weren't tossing them to the grooving tones, but they were swaying back and forth like nobody's business.

It was a blast and I loved it and Stefan was wonderful and has even started to learn some of teh songs! He turned to me at one point and said "I am so glad I get to be the one who sees this side of you." This might have been right after I was weeping uncontrolably or after I stood up and yelled "I love you Barry" at the top of my lungs...I don't know...it could be a toss up. I asked him what side of me are you referring to? "The sentimental, sweet one" he said. As opposed to my usual sarcastic, slightly jaded, romantic comedy hating side i guess.

I am lucky he likes both and I am lucky to have kick ass parents who buy me Barry Manilow tickets for my birthday.

And now for some powerpoint picture manipulation.


4 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

please, that is not photo manipulation - you just let us all see what is really going on in barry's head all the time.

glad you had such fun!

~marni

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Biz and/or Jordi said...

You're the one that he wants, Rizzo! I was hoping you'd get to go, Honeydew.
-J.

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger brendabrenda said...

Holy Diver! That is some intense Manilow love. I mean, I'm down with the schlock rock ('She's Gone', anyone?), but it's nice to see genuine love and not posturing for the sake of irony.
Teach me the Manilow ways, Biz...

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

now THAT is a blazer. wow -- is it red and shiny and velvet? i am definitely pro-that. :)

yay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home