PrincessPonyPartyAmazing

Ellis & Barnes: Serious Mothers!

Friday, May 27, 2011

What to eat after dental surgery

Jello.

So I am going to share something very personal with you...all 9 of you who follow this blog. I have a horrible mouth. Horrible because of all the swears that pour out, but also horrible because of the severe bone loss in my gums. 

I have been dealing with, ignoring, and then dealing with this for over, what, 20 years?! (older now)

To date, I have no upper teeth any more and only 8 left on the bottom. You name it, I have had it done...deep scaling, root canals, pulled teeth (4 while pregnant and under very little numbing,) bone grafts, deep scaling, gum tissue grafts...I have more cow and pig bone in my mouth than Dreamland BBQ serves on Friday night.

To add insult to injury, I am hard to numb and Novocain starts to wear off after about 30 minutes.

My periodontist does not even mention if I have cavities...what is the point? We are gonna probably pull that tooth eventually. HA HA HA HA cough.

I have grown to accept this. Sure, I take a lot of valium before I go in for a visit. I know that there is no appointment where I will not be told more bad news. It sucks and it hurts and yes it is like being in my own personal horror movie 3 to 4 times a year. No, they won't put me to sleep so I am aware of everything that happens.

For a while I was really embarrassed. Even though my dentist says it is mostly genetic, I couldn't help but think of this...


Here is genuinely the worst part. What do you eat after surgery? Some times I can only eat on one side of my mouth or only soft things...but this is usually for 3 to 4 days. Choices usually run from Jello to pudding to mashed potatoes to baked chicken cut up really small plus a nice soup. I can handle this. Who doesn't want to lose ten pounds...4 times a year.

But this time...this time it is brutal. I just  got through with prepping my mouth for a full top implant. 3 hours of surgery, including such hits as drilling and hammering...HAMMERING! Did I mention i was AWAKE! CIA operatives have nothing on me. There is no secret I will ever tell. Hammering not bad enough? No, I can't wear my top teeth for two weeks (i'll wait for all grandma jokes to simmer down). 

So for 2 weeks I need to eat...like an anaconda. Swallowing whatever I can whole.

Let me tell you about soft foods. They come in 3 flavors. White, pink, or brown. Barf. 

"Hey Biz, how about ice cream! Yum! Ice cream all day and night! Ice cream for dinner!! High fives!"

blink

I am not 5 and even a 5 year old knows she needs more sustenance than ice cream. Plus, what red wine can I pair with ice cream?

It has been one week and I have one more to go. I am over pudding, jello, ice cream, mashed potatoes, smoothies and Ensure. I NEED HELP!

What can I eat? Tell me!

I don't need main courses. I have that. Risotto, soups, red beans and rice, etc. You need ideas for main courses, I got you covered.

I need snack ideas. 

Right now I have roasted tomatoes, goat cheese on torn up Wonderbread (jealous yet?), baked potato with salsa, pumpkin pie, and...that is it.

I was just thinking a good BBQ sauce with white bread for dipping.

It needs to be soft and easy to make small and easy to swallow. Preferably something fast and savory.

Thank you,
Biz

PS. If you came across this because there is nothing out there for people like you, know that there are people like you...me. If you are young and have major dental issues, I have your back.





5 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

Learned from trying to eat tortilla chips and salsa while working... crumble up tortilla chips into the salsa. Wait until the chips are the right degree of soggy for your purposes. You can also warm it up in the microwave. Eat with a spoon. (I'm admitting this???)

You can also melt cheddar cheese on a plate in the microwave.

Also-- not a snack, but still good-- cooked cauliflower puree. Boil cauliflower in broth and puree with a blender stick. Add spices or cheese of your choice.

Don't you like Hummus? Tribe has a version called Hummus with 40 spices that is really really good.

..... and I just read an article about Pimento Cheese that would seem to have your name on it right now for any number of reasons.

xoxoxo
Vicki

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Libbi said...

What about Tuna, Chicken or ham salads? Eggs, Malts, Ensure,Yogurt,Ramen, Spaghetti,Oatmeal or canned fruit. That's all I can think of right now.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger M. Larson said...

You didn't mention applesauce so I assume you know/hate that. How about sweet potato casserole? Plain Greek yogurt with strawberry jam in it? Poached egg? Scramble with tomato and cheese? Lemon curd? I will keep thinking.

My husband suggested tripe, for the record, since George Washington wrote a letter to a friend thanking him for sending tripe since it was easy to eat.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger miss.marni said...

i had a roommate in college who used to eat baby food all the time. it comes in lots of different flavors and is in totally snack sized jars. no one is gonna look at you sideways if you buy it in the slope, either!

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Ed Hochhalter said...

The tortilla chips and baby food sound like interesting ideas. You can also make your own baby food and you can have one with a flavor you'd enjoy. In any case, I wish you luck on your diet! Getting your teeth removed by the dentist and having to restrict your eating habits is no fun, but hang in there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home