PrincessPonyPartyAmazing

Ellis & Barnes: Serious Mothers!

Monday, August 23, 2010

I am still not great at crafting

I believe I have said it before, and if you listen...right now...you'll here me say it again.

I love to make things, but I am not very good at it.

I think part of the problem is that I get excited and start rushing, which leads to uneven cuts and bad sewing. I will instead blame limited space, a baby who takes short naps and a cat who likes to "help."

So what have I made? Pillows...I know, I, know, I have a weakness for pillows. I love them. They are easy to make and forgiving of bad sewing....but wait! Let me finish. I made PILLOW CASES. Awwwww shit.

Why spend a ton of money on what is essentially 2 pieces of fabric sewn together in a rectangle...with one end open. (Pillow case tip: Make sure you leave one end open.) You can instead spend LOT'S of money of expensive fabric, sew it in an irregularly shaped rectangle and admire it from afar.

There is no point in me giving you a tutorial because I don't sew well and you don't want an irregular shaped pillow do you? You are a smart person and can figure it out. I will give you some pillow case tips!

(really over emphasize tips and make it perky.)

1. Pick a fabric that you love but doesn't go with any of the bedding you already have. Fantasize about making sheets and then think about the space you have to sew. Stop laughing and take your fabric to the counter.

2. Remain calm when you hear how much the fabric is per yard and say "sounds great" as they cut the fabric.

3. I like to rush home and then not get to my projects for about 2 to 3 weeks. This is a personal preference. You may prefer 1 week to 1 year.

4. Make sure you have wine. No point in sewing without wine.


5. When the pillow is growing frustrating because you KNOW you measured and the edges should be even and straight, you KNOW THEY ARE despite not lining up and the pillow case feeling like it is bigger than the king pillow case you used as a template...just make a pie.


You can't sew an irregular seam in a pie. Irregularity in pie form is charming.

Ta daaaaaa....Pillow case.


Pretty sweet fabric right? Hello antlers and birds. I'll call them "fall pillows" and maybe santa will bring me some sheets that go with these.

Until the next poorly made but much loved project,

Biz

1 Comments:

At 1:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This post killed me. I laughed so hard that I am literally crying. Real tears, baby!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home